The Director of eCommerce Operations is a key strategic and functional leader with oversight for eCommerce fulfillment and service practices, field execution, operational excellence, 3PL partnerships, logistics, and operational innovation.
In this role, I and your team will help deliver on the promise set across your company’s digital experiences, aiming to drive a level of service that exceeds the expectations of your customers.
I will lead a team that establishes, supports, and drives innovation and best practices across in-store fulfillment, carryout, and delivery services, with significant influence over the personnel, facilities, equipment, technology, training, support, partnerships, and related business processes to ensure successful execution.
I will also play a major role in crafting the vision, strategy, and pilot/implementation plans for innovation projects that grow your footprint geographically; disrupt and/or accelerate our labor and fulfillment models; and introduce new ways to reach your customers (ex. remote and alternative pickup experiences, lockers, etc.).
As your Director of eCommerce Operations, I will partner closely with Store Operations, Facilities & Engineering, Asset Protection, Marketing, FP&A, IS, and various subsidiaries within your company to ensure a safe, lean, efficient, and well-engineered program. I will be directly responsible for a team of specialists who support and drive your teams toward operational excellence.
I have proven experience with eCommerce fulfillment operations and experience in the areas of retail operations, order fulfillment, and logistics. I also have knowledge of small-scale warehouse fulfillment and logistics.
I am a cross-functional leader who works effectively in a collaborative setting and is comfortable in situations where “the new normal” is continually being re-invented. I want to be part of a fast-growing and entrepreneurial team that continues to re-define ecommerce.
Erich Stauffer’s Responsibilities:
- Directly manage a team of field-based specialists and managers who are responsible for training, education, motivation, support, and enablement for our BOPIS eCommerce operations
- Develop, manage, and grow key programs to drive KPIs for operational accuracy, efficiency, speed, and safety
- Business owner of all operational aspects of our grocery pickup and delivery experience
- Works closely with Facilities and Engineering teams to architect and improve store staging and pickup environments
- Directly responsible for building and developing the business unit, programs, and practices around new and emerging fulfillment methods and facilities
- Acts as the daily liaison between the eCommerce team and field/operations leadership to ensure operational excellence and consistency
- Oversees creation of analytics regarding operational performance and develops necessary feedback mechanisms
- Develops fulfillment and sales models in support of custom and/or B2B partnership opportunities
- Works hand-in-hand with our peers within our eCommerce team ensure a seamless, end-to-end experience for our guests—starting with the online experience and continuing through to order fulfillment, delivery, etc.
- Owns, negotiates, and holds accountability for essential third-party service provider partnerships affecting operations (3PL providers, equipment suppliers, consultants, and more), including selection, negotiation, collaboration, and operational execution)
- Responsible for retail fulfillment and operational excellence across 150+ unique store locations and fulfillment centers
- Directly influences and drives programs and processes that support more than 1M+ eCommerce orders and eCommerce revenue
- Provides guidance and direction to all levels within the company, including making specific and actionable recommendations and decisions to the highest levels of leadership
Erich Stauffer’s Qualifications:
- Studied business, supply chain, logistics, and software design
- 10+ years of work experience in retail operations, fulfillment/logistics, warehousing & distribution, marketing, and information technology
- 2 years of leadership experience with direct report responsibility
- Proven experience negotiating and managing relationships with third party providers
- Demonstrated experience working closely with Senior Leadership
- Experience working cross-functionally in a large organization, providing guidance & direction
- Knowledgeable in basic eCommerce business practices and resourcing
- Willingness to “invent” and derive new ways to do business in uncharted territory
- Ability to educate, motivate, and steer resources toward a collective goal
- Ability to guide and motivate field-based personnel
- Strong problem-solving skills and work ethic
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally