How to have a happy new year:
1. Tell yourself you are going to have a good year. Give up on the thinking that for every good thing that happens there will be something bad. It doesn’t have to work that way, but will if you want it to. Say you are going to have a good year and that it doesn’t have to be offset by bad. Then write it down and speak it out loud.
2. Ask yourself what you want. Be specific. Narrow it down by using actions and places. What do you want to accomplish at home? What do you want to accomplish in your business life? What things would you like to own? Where might you want to go to see or show someone? Write down your answers, then speak them out loud.
3. Take inventory of your assets and liabilities. Surround yourself with family and team member who share your positive outlook on life and eliminate or narrow your exposure to those who are constantly negative. Cut out things in your life that are busy work or that are uncessary. Ask yourself why you are doing something. If you don’t know the answer, stop.
4. Take a step towards one of your goals each day. Action cures fear. A goal like debt reduction or quitting your job can be scary and seem insurmountable. It is probably impossible to do in one step so don’t. Figure out the next action, then write it down. Speak the action out loud and set a deadline of accomplishing this action within the next 8 hours.
5. Develop a system to manage your thoughts or ideas. If you’ve followed these steps you have been writing things down. They may be on the back of an envelope, on a receipt in your car, or in an email or text message. USe whatever you feel comfortable with to collect these musings into one cohesive place. Only use a calendar for hard and fast dates, not for action items. Try to avoid using email as your method of choice if possible.
6. Relax. Don’t sweat the small stuff. Take time to smell the roses and the aftershave. Unplug. Check your email less often. Read the news less. Take more walks. Lay down outside. Feel the ground. Decompress. Take a deep breath at least once a day. Laugh. Forgive. Love. Visit your mother wherever she is. Don’t make lists, take actions. Conquer fear.