The following timelines show how the timeline we saw in the movie, Predestination, was not the original timeline, but one edited by Robertson. These are just my ideas:
- Time travel was invented in 1981 and Robertson is tasked with creating the perfect temporal agent.
- Robertson researches medical textbooks and finds a case of a woman with full male parts.
- He travels back in time, kidnaps the baby from the parents, and takes her to an orphanage in 1945 (well within the 53 year limit).
- Robertson travels to 1960 to recruit Jane from the orphanage for SpaceCorps where she is impregnated.
- Her pregnancy results in a C-section, hysterectomy, and a reconstruction of her male organs.
- Robertson steals her baby and kills it. She falls into a depression. She hates her life.
- Robertson meets Jane in 1970 after her sperm starts working and offers her a second chance at life. He takes her back to 1964 so that she can impregnate herself and be in “full control of her life”.
- 1964 Jane has the baby, has emergency surgery, is reconstructed, and Robertson steals her baby.
- Robertson takes the baby back to 1945.
- The original Jane was born with male and female parts and given to the orphanage by her original parents in 1945
- Robertson worked for SpaceCorp, which was an organization who recruited from hookers and orphanages in the 60’s
- While the Original Jane was at SpaceCorp, doctors revealed to Robertson her unique anatomy and she was rejected
- In 1981 time travel is invented and Robertson is asked to find someone suitable to be a temporal agent
- Robertson remembers Original Jane who by 1981 has already had a child ‘naturally’ and been reconstructed as a man, Original John
- Original John hates his life, has a child, and is struggling to make ends meet.
- Robertson recruits Original John with the promise he can help him fix his life before it went wrong.
- Robertson goes with Original John back to 1964 in Cleveland and guides him to Original Jane, thereby changing history.
- Original John impregnates Original Jane, which creates a 2nd Jane Doe, but with the same DNA and unique anatomy.
- Original Jane Doe is killed.
- Robertson steals 2nd Jane Doe from nursery and takes her back to 1945.
The problem is that they both result in 2 babies being in 1945. The problem is that if you kill one, neither timeline can happen. This move has at least 3 paradoxes that I can count. Now I will see what others are saying and post that below these 2 options.
There are multiple babies and they are all temporal agents. Bartender John mentions there are 11. That could mean there are 11 loops of himself. Not sure.
The irony is that Jane thinks Robertson was her redeemer, when in reality he was her destroyer.
Other People’s Ideas
The following 2 ideas are from Reddit and Quora:
It could make sense if the original Jane was born to parents and then had a sex change due to some other occurrence and becomes John. Robertson makes John a temporal agent who eventually becomes the Fizzle bomber due to psychosis. Then, Robertson has the Fizzle bomber go back and procreated with him/herself. Then, Robertson also has the Fizzle bomber take the baby back to the orphanage. Thus the paradox begins. The Fizzle bomber then retires. So, Robertson goes back to recruit Jane/John after the post-birthing sex change. That John’s new job is to hunt down and stop the Fizzle bomber. That John becomes John(Ethan) due to his brush up with the Fizzle bomber. John(Ethan) is now asked to go back and procreate with the Jane that was birthed by the Fizzle bomber and past Jane and to then take that baby back to the orphanage. John(Ethan) forgets that he was once the other John. He is then asked to go back to the bar and help John(the one who he had a baby with) go back to meet Jane. The movie then unfolds from here.
Barkeep makes one “illegal” jump to intercept the event that causes John to burn his face. However, Barkeep causes the confusion that ends up John burning his face.
I think there are 11 versions of John. When John asks Barkeep how many temporal agents are there? He responds with ‘there are 11 of us’ and goes on to say that we were all ‘born into it’. Each time he takes the baby back in time a new Jane/John is created.